Today we celebrate some of the most noted African women leaders in Nigeria, on the continent, and beyond.
African women leaders continue to push for recognition in various spheres of human endeavour and below we highlight some of the most illustrious:
1) “Communities and countries and ultimately the world are only as strong as the health of their women.” — Michelle Obama
2) “I have learnt that if you face the challenges with positive energy, you are most likely to get better results.” – Adenike Ogunlesi is the founder of Ruff’n’Tumble Nigeria.
3) “The economic crises we are facing is terrible but even with that I see opportunities everyday”-Aisha Augie-Kuta renowned photographer
4) “Never listen to anybody who tells you, you can’t do it. You know you can so just get on with it.” – Margret Hirsch
5) “… failure is an opportunity to learn and to do better next time. It’s part of the path to greatness, which was never meant to be smooth.” – Khanyi Dhlomo is founder of Ndalo Media and Destiny connect magazine
6) “Start at the bottom. You need 100% passion, 100% guts and a total belief in your vision and your determination to succeed. Be prepared to put in crazy work hours and all kinds of sacrifices, but most important.. NEVER GIVE UP!” – Bev Missing is founder of RAIN who create handmade bath & body products.
7) “Start small and grow,don’t run faster than your feet,make sure you master your craft,don’t start a business if your not ready to face the criticism and please always have a business plan”-Aisha Bala,founder Falke by Aisha and Mishanoon ready to wear designs.
8) “We are very proactive. We are strong women. We are great managers. We are great policy makers. We can be a great force for Africa.” – Joy and Janet Nkubana are inspirational sisters and co-founders of Gahaya Links Cooperatives
9) “True success is about a passion to create a better world, live a life that you can look back on and be truly proud of.”– Dr.Ola Orekunrin is a medical doctor, helicopter pilot and healthcare entrepreneur founder of Flying Doctors Nigeria.
10) “Investing in women reaps significant dividends for families and societies.women tend to be investment multipliers:investing the majority of their income back into their families and communities.This results in better educated,healthier children who go on to be productive,more prosperous citizens”–Yasmin Belo-Osagie co founder of she leads africa
11) “I might fail in a business venture but I do not consider myself a failure until I have given up. Failure is giving up on my goals and dreams.” – Damilola Solesi is founder of Smids Animation Studios, Nigeria
12) “It’s really rewarding when you can manage to turn a passion into a profitable business, and inspire a new generation of entrepreneurs along the way” – Teta Isibois the founder of Inzuki Designs
13) “If you start to see more successful businesses that are playing on a global level, the story of Africa will begin to change” – Tara Fela Durotoye founder of House Of Tara
14) “Do not be afraid to try. Fail. Fail again. Fail better. He who takes all the risks, takes all the rewards.” – Maira Koutsoudakis , founder and CEO of the Life group of companies and Life Interiors
15) “We need to build our own national social networks and not be dependent on those coming from mainly the USA. We need to build home grown social media networks.” – Uche Pedro is founder of BellaNaija.com
While many African women leaders continue to make such great strides, the truth is, most parts of the continent continue to oppress women , and deny humanity their potential contribution as African women leaders.