EkoConnect.net

Lagos Records 23 Fire Outbreaks in 2 days

A midnight fire engulfed a bungalow in Ilasamaja area of Lagos yesterday, just as a gas cylinder exploded in Ogba metropolis  injuring two persons.

The incidents brought to the fore 23 fire incidents that occurred in Lagos within two days.

The Ilasamaja fire, which was said to have raged for about twenty minutes before the arrival of  fire fighters, was said to have been caused by a high voltage.

When Vanguard  arrived the scene at about 7am yesterday, the affected occupants were seen bemoaning their fate .

One of the tenants, a businessman  simply identified  as Okudiri, said he lost  N2.5 million cash  in the inferno.

He said: “I brought  N2.5 million  home for business three days ago  only for me to return yesterday and discovered that the money and other valuables  had been burnt. What do I tell the owner and where do I get such money to pay back?”, he asked in tears.

Another occupant  simply identified as Iya Alami, a graduate from  the Kwara  State polytechnic  also disclosed that she lost an unspecified amount of money that was to be used for the  purchase of some items  for her younger sister’s wedding next Saturday.

She said: “ I was given a huge amount of money to keep for the purchase of some items for my younger  sister’s  wedding, before leaving for work yesterday (Monday). As I speak, the money and  items already bought, including my certificates and other valuable documents are all gone. This is a total disaster.”

Director, Lagos State Fire Service , Mr Rasaq Fadipe , who confirmed the incident disclosed they had so far attended to 23 distress calls in two days.

Among distress calls attended to between Sunday and yesterday according to him were “ that of a restaurant at Charity bus-stop, Oshodi; a building at 43 Olushoga street; Mushin; another bungalow building at 3 Haruna street, Fadeyi and another one at 3 Sonola Street, Ogba.

“Also, we received three distress calls on fire out break at LADPC Ilupeju, among others.”

2 Sobodu street, Sari Iganmu and BQ8 Shagari estate,Iyana Ipaja and that of a gas explosion at Ogba where two males and a female were injured.  Again, we attended to a bungalow building  that went up In flames at 1 Anjourin  street, Odogunyan , Ikorodu.

Lagosians should always take precautionary measures against fire, particularly in this Harmattan season”, Fadipe advised

 

Source: Vanguard Nigeria

Subscribe
Notify of
guest
0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
0
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
()
x